[Linux] Repairing an Ubuntu Installation

Steven Benmosh linux@flux.org
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:27:25 -0600

------=_Part_55489_1137978.1218223645406

Yes, that did it. I had to look for an older copy of xorg.conf, since my
on-board video is not properly recognized, but otherwise looks like things
are back to normal.

Thanks.

Z.

--
Check out my web site - www.words2u.net

------=_Part_55489_1137978.1218223645406

If Ubuntu retained Debian&#39;s dpkg, you can try using dpkg-reconfigure.<br>
Use &#39;dpkg-reconfigure -a&#39; to reconfigure everything, or just specify<br>
individual packages, e.g., &#39;dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg&#39;. &nbsp;Have a<br>
look through your system for good candidates with &#39;dpkg -l | grep<br>
gnome&#39; and &#39;dpkg -l | grep desktop&#39;.<br>
Javier<br>
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Steven Benmosh &lt;<a href="mailto:wordz2u@gmail.com">wordz2u@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; For some reason, either another drive on his way to greener pasture, or just<br>
&gt; bad luck (and massive amounts of writing and reading to the HD), I had some<br>
&gt; file system damage to the hard drive. I noticed that the usual way - write<br>
&gt; errors (permission errors upon save) and application malfunctions (ftp<br>
&gt; server), rebooted, ran a manual fsck and rebooted again. I am now back in X,<br>
&gt; but there is a problem - some of the lost files contained configuration<br>
&gt; information, and now my gnome desktop is not working properly.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So here is the question:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Is there a way to &#39;repair&#39; a damaged desktop environment, either through<br>
&gt; some repair functionality of Ubuntu 8.04, or by reinstalling, without losing<br>
&gt; personal data, or with a minimal loss?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Z.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt;<br>
Javier Lombillo<br>
Systems Administrator<br>
Swantech, a Curtiss Wright Flow Control Company<br>
5440 NW 33rd Avenue, Suite 104<br>
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309<br>
Main: 954.332.6710 x215<br>
Mobile: 954.604.2511<br>